Monday, April 07, 2008

Rock Star to Soldier!!!!

Frank Cavanaugh, former bass player with the bank Filter,
reunites with the band in Kuwait.

Frank Cavanaugh has taken a path most people would never expect. He was the bass player in the rock band FILTER for eight years. He gave up being a rock star and enlisted in the Army Reserves. He is a Sergeant and Paralegal and will be deploying to Iraq in April.

In March, Sgt Cavanaugh reunited with the band to play in Kuwait in the Operation My Space concert.

When the age limit for entering the military was fast approaching, Cavanagh said, he knew he had to take action. "At the time when I joined, the age limit was 35 and I was 34. ... I thought, 'I really want to do something with the military before I can't anymore; I never want to look back and regret it.'"

Cavanagh said it's important for servicemembers to understand what their sacrifice means to America.

"Political or not, if you live in America, it's a country that allows you to express yourself politically," he said. "And the whole reason behind that is the people in the military have made sacrifices so that our country can be what it is."

To read more about Sgt Cavanaugh - go here: http://www.defenselink.mil/news/newsarticle.aspx?id=49407

To hear an interview with Sgt Cavanaugh about the band and his Army service - go here: http://www.blogtalkradio.com/stations/PentagonRadioNetwork/ASYLive/2008/03/27/A-Rock-Star-Military-Sergeant-

Operation MySpace was a concert to honor American military soldiers by MySpace that aired on the internet on myspace.com. The event was held on March 10, 2008 in Kuwait. It will be re-broadcast for television on Saturday April 12, 2008 at 11p.m. on FX.

And, kudos to Dr Pepper who foot the bill to get Sgt Cavanaugh to Kuwait for the reunion concert~~

This You Tube video some of the concert: http://youtube.com/watch?v=nuPn91EDz3I

Sgt Cavanaugh is at the beginning and at about 2:50 into the video.

2 comments:

Sarge Charlie said...

I wanted to stop by and thanks you for kind comment on my Manic Monday 1000 post.

Buck said...

Good on Sgt. Cavanaugh! That said, I cannot imagine, for the life of me, going through basic training at age 34. For many reasons...