Thursday, November 23, 2006

Giving Thanks to Our Troops ~ Neil Cavuto

I cannot imagine eating Thanksgiving dinner in a mess hall.
In a foreign country.
In a hostile foreign country.
Away from family.
Away from friends.
Away from all I hold dear.

I cannot imagine wondering whether this meal might be my last.
Or the buddy sitting next to me won't always be with me.

I cannot imagine going through what our soldiers go through every day.
But, especially "this" day.
When we should all give thanks.
But, they barely have the time to eat.
Before they're back on the line.
Back protecting us.

We who debate their role.
Some of us who even mock their cause.
This isn't about war.
This is about those who fight it.
And live through it.
In a place we forget.
On a day we should not.

I am very lucky to have this day with my family.
My creature comforts are secure precisely because theirs are not.
It's not fair.
It's not right.
It just is.

They are due our thanks every day.
Our prayers all days.
But they are due both, especially this day.
It's amazing to me that those paid so little, give so much.
Never complaining.
Always giving.
So that we can sit down in peace.
While they stand guard, in war.

Thank you, my friends.
And, Happy Thanksgiving.

-Neil Cavuto, Cavuto on Business, FoxNews

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Great post, happy holidays!